I first interviewed Will and Anthony Nunziata this past July when I attended their show, "An Evening with Will and Anthony Nunziata" at Feinstein's at Loews Regency in NYC. Since that time, they spent the remainder of 2011 traveling around the country delighting audiences with their gift of music and working on their debut album, "Make Someone Happy," which will be released on February 9, 2012.
To celebrate the release of "Make Someone Happy," Will and Anthony will be performing and signing CDs on February 9, 2012 at 7:00pm at Barnes and Noble in New York City (150 East 86th Street, 86th & Lexington).
1. What made you want to release a CD? Will: There was a lot of interest in us putting one together, especially when we do concerts on the road. The most common question, besides "Whose older?" is "When is your CD coming out?" We wanted to take our time, and really decide what we wanted to say with the CD. We got to talking this summer, and we realized we wanted our first CD to be an intimate, easy listening album with our voices and piano & bass of our favorite songs from Broadway and the American & Italian songbooks. And an album that will hopefully make people smile.
Anthony: Over the past few years audience members have come up to me after shows and asked if we had a CD. I said No. I was tired of saying No. So this Fall, I said Yes. Yes to making a CD. And now, a CD!
2. What does it mean to you to release your debut CD? Will: It's exciting. It's been a lot of hard work, we have great musicians on the album (Brad Gardner on piano, Michael Kuennen on bass) but it's been an incredible learning process. My family is also thrilled, and has pre-ordered at least 50 copies.
Anthony: This is a very proud moment. I'm very excited to share this music with others. My hope is that these songs touch the listener in some way.
3. How did you come up with the title/concept/song selection for "Make Someone Happy"? Will: I think I can speak on behalf of both of us and say that our main goal when we perform is to entertain and make people happy. So we decided to make the song "Make Someone Happy" the thesis of the album, and the rest of the songs kind of fell into place.
Anthony: I love the song "Make Someone Happy" and we decided to shape the entire CD around this theme and all the different meanings of being there for someone else.
4. What excites you about your upcoming CD signing and performance at Barnes and Noble on February 9? Will: To perform at Barnes & Noble is a dream come true. I remember growing up outside of NYC and seeing in the NY Times all of my favorite singers from the music and Broadway worlds with announcements of their CD signings, and in the back of mind, it was always a "Wow, that would be cool one day." Everyone at Barnes & Noble has been fantastic to work with in preparation for the signing and performance, and I'm excited to spend it with family, friends, and fans. It's going to be a party!
Anthony: What a wonderful opportunity and great honor to debut our CD with a signing and performance at the Barnes & Noble in NYC. Everyone at Barnes & Noble has been extremely supportive. I'm excited to celebrate this singing with friends, family, and anyone who wants to come out and see us.
5. What do you like about interacting with your fans at a signing as opposed to one of your shows? Will: I don't know yet, as it will be my first signing. But I can imagine that it will be like meeting an audience after a concert. It's one of my favorite parts about what I do. I love people and I love to talk, so talking with people...I'm in heaven.
Anthony: I love being an entertainer and singer because I get to meet people. I love people. I am fascinated by people. I love hearing people's stories. I love to find out what makes people tick - what makes them happy - what entertains them. These past few years has afforded me the blessing to befriend so many people around the country (and world)....it feels like I have many "homes" in places where I've performed because of the relationships I've forged from people I've met at my performances.
6. In addition to Barnes and Noble, what other events are you planning to celebrate the release of "Make Someone Happy"? Will: We have a few fun television appearances that are still in the works, and some concerts as well. In terms of signings, we don't have 100% confirmation yet, but stay tuned to our FB Fan Page or WillandAnthony.com, because we will most likely be coming to a city near you soon!
Anthony: Our schedule is filling up for the rest of the year and I look forward to sharing this CD with our audiences.
7. If you could "Make Someone Happy," who would you choose? Will: First and foremost, I feel an obligation to continue to make audiences, who come out to pay and see us perform, happy. It's the most fulfilling feeling in the world to hear that you have affected another person's life in a positive way. At the end of the day, it's also about continuing to make my family proud and happy, but also continuing to remain true to myself when I perform so I am happy as well.
Thank you, Adam. This was fun!